When the craving for something warm and comforting strikes, there’s nothing quite like a batch of Stuffed Potato Pancakes to hit the spot. These vegetarian delights are a cinch to make and offer a twist on the classic Eastern European dish.
- Dough Consistency: Achieve the perfect potato dough by boiling your potatoes until fork-tender and mixing in just enough cornstarch for a dough that’s workable but not sticky.
- Filling Mastery: The combination of browned mushrooms and wilted spinach, seasoned just right, creates a filling that’s flavorful and satisfying.
- Cheese Choices: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to find the flavor profile that suits your palate best.
The Ingredients Lineup:
- Potato Dough: A simple mix of mashed russet potatoes and cornstarch forms the base of your pancakes.
- Spinach and Mushrooms: These vegetables add not only nutrition but a rich depth of flavor that pairs wonderfully with the creamy potato.
- Cheese: A generous helping of cheese brings a melty, gooey element that’s irresistible in every bite.
Preparing the Dish:
Start by preparing your potato dough, boiling the spuds to the perfect tenderness. As they cool, tackle the filling—sauté your mushrooms to a golden brown, then wilt the spinach in the same pan for added flavor. Combine these with the seasoning for a mixture that’s sure to delight.
With the dough and filling prepped, it’s time to assemble. Shape your pancakes by adding filling and cheese to a flattened disc of potato dough, then carefully sealing the edges.
Fry your pancakes to a golden brown, ensuring each side is crispy and the filling is warmed through. The low heat is crucial to cook these thoroughly without burning the exterior.
Present your Stuffed Potato Pancakes hot off the pan, garnished with parsley. They’re perfect on their own or with a dollop of sour cream or your favorite dip.
These Stuffed Potato Pancakes are a testament to the joy of simple ingredients coming together to create something that’s more than the sum of its parts. They’re a perfect choice for any meal where comfort is on the menu.
Stuffed Potato pancakes
- Mixing bowl
- measuring tools
- wire rack for cooling
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt for boiling water
- ⅓ cup cornstarch 45 g
- 100 g vegan cheese grated or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried parsley for garnish
- 500 g baby spinach 17 oz, fresh
- 200 g mushrooms sliced (7 oz)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Potato Dough: Boil peeled and chopped potatoes with salt until tender. Mash well and mix in cornstarch to create a pliable dough.
- Filling: Sauté mushrooms in oil until browned, then add spinach until wilted. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Pancakes: Take a portion of potato dough, form a disc, place a spoonful of filling and cheese in the center, then fold and seal the edges. Flatten into a pancake shape.
- Cooking: Fry each pancake in a pan with oil over low heat until golden on both sides. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serving: Garnish with dried parsley and serve hot, with a side of sour cream or your favorite sauce.