A traditional Swiss dish with a modern, plant-based twist! This Stuffed Kartoffelrösti recipe adds layers of flavor with vegan cream cheese, baby spinach, and cherry tomatoes. It’s the perfect combination of crispy and creamy, all in one bite.
This recipe is Budget, Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Moderately Easy, with main ingredients being Potatoes and Baby Spinach.
Whether you’re serving it for brunch or as a comforting side dish, these stuffed potato pancakes are sure to impress with their crispy exterior and creamy, flavorful filling.
Stuffed Kartoffelrösti Recipe
For the ultimate Kartoffelrösti, make sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the grated potatoes. This ensures a crispy, golden-brown finish that contrasts beautifully with the creamy filling.
Preparing the Potato Mixture
- Peel and grate 1kg (about 2lb) of potatoes.
- Squeeze out the liquid and season with salt and black pepper.
- Sauté baby spinach until softened.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves.
Cooking the Kartoffelrösti
- Add oil to a pan and place a handful of grated potato.
- Flatten with a spoon and spread vegan cream cheese, spinach, and cherry tomatoes.
- Cover with more potatoes and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Large frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- 1 kg potatoes peeled and grated
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Baby spinach sautéed
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tbsp vegan cream cheese per pancake
- Oil for frying
- Prepare Potatoes: Peel and grate 1kg (2lb) of potatoes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and season with salt and black pepper.
- Prepare Filling: Sauté baby spinach until wilted and cut the cherry tomatoes in halves.
- Cook Kartoffelrösti: Heat a generous amount of oil in a pan. Add a handful of the grated potato mixture and flatten it with a spoon.
- Add Fillings: Spread 1 tbsp of vegan cream cheese, a bit of the sautéed spinach, and a few halved cherry tomatoes over the potato layer.
- Finish Cooking: Cover the fillings with another layer of grated potato. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
You can also include vegan bacon bits for a smoky touch.
To make it even more nutritious, consider adding other vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini to the filling.