Enjoy a wholesome and flavorful meal with our Roasted Tomato and Chickpea Pasta. This dish blends the earthy flavors of roasted vegetables with the satisfying texture of chickpeas, all tossed with al dente spaghetti and fresh spinach. It’s a straightforward, nutritious meal that’s as delightful to eat as it is easy to prepare.
- Vegetable Selection: Choose fresh, ripe cherry tomatoes and firm onions for the best flavor. The freshness of the vegetables is key to achieving that perfect roast.
- Perfect Roasting: Roasting the vegetables and chickpeas brings out their natural sweetness and intensifies their flavors. Make sure to roast until they are golden and slightly crisp for that extra texture.
- Pasta Perfection: Opt for a high-quality spaghetti to ensure it holds up well with the vegetables. Cooking it al dente is crucial for the perfect texture.
- Seasoning Matters: The combination of dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper provides a simple yet perfect seasoning. They enhance the natural flavors of the vegetables without overpowering them.
- Spinach Freshness: Adding fresh baby spinach at the end gives a burst of color and freshness to the dish. It wilts perfectly in the warmth of the pasta.
- Preheat Oven: Begin by setting your oven to 200°C (400°F). It’s essential to allow the oven to fully preheat for even cooking.
- Prepare the Vegetable Mixture: In a large, oven-safe baking dish, simply toss together the onions, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes. This combination will form the heart of your sauce.
- Add Liquids and Season: Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over the mixture. This oil will help roast the vegetables to perfection and infuse them with a rich flavor. Pour the vegetable stock evenly over the top, which will help to create a saucy texture as the dish roasts. Season everything with a pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper. This is the perfect time to adjust the seasonings to your personal preference.
- Roast the Mixture: Place your baking dish in the preheated oven. Roast for a total of 50-60 minutes. This duration is crucial for the tomatoes to burst and caramelize, and for the chickpeas to develop a slightly crunchy, golden exterior. At the halfway mark (25-30 minutes in), open the oven and give the mixture a thorough stir. This ensures that all ingredients cook evenly and absorb flavors uniformly.
- Cook the Pasta: As the vegetable mixture nears its final roasting stage, begin cooking your spaghetti. Boil it in a large pot of salted water. Aim for an al dente texture, as per the package’s instructions. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it thoroughly.
- Combine Pasta with Roasted Vegetables: Combine the spaghetti with the vegetables. Introduce the fresh baby spinach to the pot. Use a pair of tongs or a large spoon to gently toss all the ingredients together. The heat from the pasta and roasted vegetables will wilt the spinach, integrating it beautifully into the dish.
- Final Touches: Drizzle an additional splash of olive oil over the pasta. This not only enhances the flavor but also helps to meld the ingredients together smoothly. Taste a small portion and adjust the seasoning if necessary, adding more salt or pepper as desired.
Serve and Garnish: Dish out the pasta into individual bowls. Garnish each serving with fresh basil leaves for an aromatic flourish. For those who enjoy a cheesier taste, offer nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan cheese as an optional topping. This adds a delightful, savory note to the dish.
Roasted Tomato and Chickpea Pasta
- Large Pot
- Baking Dish
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 425 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 15 oz
- 450 g cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock 120 ml
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 340 g spaghetti 12 oz
- 2 cups baby spinach 60g
- Fresh basil for serving
- Optional: Nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan cheese for a cheesy flavour
- Preheat Oven: Set your oven to 200°C (400°F), ensuring it reaches the right temperature for optimal roasting.
- Prepare Vegetable Mixture: Toss onions, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Add Liquids and Season: Generously drizzle olive oil for taste and texture, then add vegetable stock for moisture. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and some black pepper for seasoning.
- Roast the Mixture: Place the dish in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Remember to stir halfway through to ensure even cooking and flavor absorption.
- Cook the Pasta: While the vegetables are roasting, cook your spaghetti in a pot of boiling salted water until it reaches an al dente consistency, then drain.
- Combine Pasta with Roasted Vegetables: Add the cooked spaghetti to the vegetable mix. Toss in fresh baby spinach, which will gently wilt in the mix.
- Final Touches: Pour a bit more olive oil over the top for a final flavor boost, and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve and Garnish: Serve the pasta in bowls, topped with fresh basil. Offer nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan as an optional cheesy topping for those who prefer it.