The Labneh Pita Sandwich is a staple in many Middle Eastern homes, especially in Syria and Lebanon. It’s a go-to snack for many families because it combines basic ingredients to create a satisfying dish. The creamy labneh paired with fresh vegetables and spices offers a balanced meal that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
- Lebanese Pita Bread: One pita bread is used as the solid foundation for this sandwich, providing a resilient structure to contain all the fillings effectively while offering a light, chewy bite.
- Labneh or Plant-Based Cream Cheese: This recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of creamy labneh or plant-based cream cheese, offering a smooth and tangy layer that holds the sandwich together.
- Harissa: Including 2 teaspoons of harissa introduces a spicy and aromatic note to the sandwich, infusing it with traditional Middle Eastern flavors.
- Cucumber: One fresh cucumber is used, adding a cool and crisp texture contrast to the creamy and spicy ingredients.
- Tomato: One ripe tomato is incorporated for a juicy and tangy freshness that balances the robust flavors of the other ingredients.
- Olives: Six pitted olives contribute a briny and savory taste, enhancing the overall flavor profile of the sandwich.
- Za’atar: One tablespoon of za’atar is sprinkled over the pita and vegetables, adding a herby and nutty aroma that’s characteristic of Middle Eastern cuisine.
- Olive Oil: One tablespoon of olive oil is used for brushing the pita, giving it a golden crispness and rich flavor when baked.
- Preheat the Oven: Start by setting your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Prepare the Vegetables: Clean and slice the cucumber and tomato. Set these aside with your pitted olives.
Bake the Pita Bread:
- Season the Pita: Split the pita bread in half so that you have two circles. Apply olive oil and sprinkle za’atar on one half of the pita bread, rough side facing up.
- Bake the Pita: Place it in the oven, baking for 2-5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Monitor it closely to prevent burning.
Spread and Layer:
- Apply Labneh and Harissa: On the other half of the pita bread, evenly spread labneh or plant-based cream cheese and harissa.
- Place the Vegetables: Arrange the cucumber, tomato, and olives neatly over the harissa.
Season and Assemble:
- Season Your Sandwich: Sprinkle additional za’atar over the vegetables.
- Complete the Assembly: Place the baked and crispy pita half on top of the assembled half.
Finalize the Wrap:
- Break the Baked Pita: Crumble the crispy baked pita for added texture.
- Wrap Your Sandwich: Start at the bottom and roll the pita bread like a burrito.
- Keep a close eye on the pita in the oven to prevent over-baking or burning.
- Feel free to customize your sandwich with additional vegetables or spices to suit your taste.
Crispy Labneh Pita Sandwich
- 1 Lebanese pita bread split
- 2 tbsp labneh or plant-based cream cheese
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 6 olives pitted
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Wash the cucumber and tomato, then slice them. Set aside along with pitted olives.
Bake the Pita Bread
- Take one half of the pita bread and apply some olive oil and sprinkle za’atar on the rough side.
- Place it in the preheated oven and bake for 2-5 minutes or until it turns golden and crispy. Monitor to avoid burning.
Spread and Layer
- On the unbaked pita half, smooth side down, evenly spread the labneh or plant-based cream cheese and harissa. Neatly place the sliced cucumber, tomato, and olives over the harissa.
Season and Assemble
- Add an additional sprinkle of za'atar over the vegetables.
- Once the other half of the pita is baked and crispy, place it on top of the assembled half.
Finalize the Wrap
- Break the crispy baked pita with your fingers for texture.
- Begin at the bottom, fold and roll the pita bread like a burrito.